Wednesday, April 1, 2009

An Unreasonable Sense of Loss

Today while I was at MOPS, one of the moms came in with only one baby - her own - rather than the two she usually has - her own and another baby named Maicey that she took care of. I asked her where Maicey was, and she said that M's parents got upset that she took a sick day last week and put her in a daycare center, so she won't have her anymore.

I almost cried.

Maicey was my favorite, *favorite* baby that I cared for. I saw her not only for four hours a month at MOPS, but she also came to the parenting class I've been babysitting for. She was the only bright spot in the class, to be honest with you. She always smiled, was incredibly ticklish, and giggled like a fiend. I adored her, and now suddenly I'm never going to see her again. I am so, so sad over this.

I realize that I'm being unreasonable, and shouldn't be so upset over a baby that I only have spent that much time with, but really, I am.

*****

I started the C25K program today! I had to do it on the treadmill, because it's so. disgusting. outside. It's cold, rainy, and dank. I had actually been hoping to do it outside, and get over my fear of having people see me, but at least I did it, and it wasn't hard. I've run for short amounts of time on da mill before, so the 1-2 minutes at a time that this program had me doing wasn't a stretch at all. hooray! Now I feel pleasantly fatigued and more confident that I can do this.

I used the music program I told you all about yesterday, and it worked great. Also, this was the first time I've used my new-to-me iPod, which is actually a 3rd Gen thing that DH got on eBay along with a Nano and a Shuffle, with various parapharnalia, for $100. None of them were new, but apparently the guy who sold them was trying to raise $$ for a new Touch, and is loading his other stuff. I signed up for all the free podcasts of all the NPR shows I like, so I can listen to them while I'm doing house stuff or taking trips in the car. (yes, I also have music, I'm not that much of a dork). I also signed up for the Bill Mahar podcasts, which are free - why am I paying for HBO again?!

8 comments:

Deleted said...

Awww that sounds really cute, Once a mommy always a mommy gotta love those babies :)

AndreAnna said...

I couldn't start C25K today because I'm an asshole and didn't stretch before my Monday 5-miler and pulled my shin splints again. Walking the dog for 30 mins was killer but I did it.

I'm hoping tomorrow is less pain so I can start the running part.

Not Your Aunt B said...

That's awesome! I am jealous that you have a treadmill. And listening to a podcast is a good idea, an option I need to investigate. I am guessing they aren't all free.

And I bonded with a little toddler Morgan when I helped out at a mommy's day out thing. I only helped a handful of times, but I never forgot how she would reach up to rub my ear while sitting in my lap for stories.

Hotch Potchery said...

Yay for starting the Couch to 5K! I am a firm believer. I have finished it, now I just have to work on my timing and being consistent.

Chantal said...

I used the pod runner download for my run last night too (the full 5K one). It was great, it was a welcome distraction for me. I am a slow runner and my running buddies often go ahead of me, which usually leaves me giving myself mental pep talks, ensuring myself that I can do this. With the music I was able to focus on the beat. I liked it.

I totally understand you feeling a sense of loss about that baby. Take Care.

Kristi said...

I think I'm going to start the C25K today! I should get started on the downloading!

Sarah said...

I'm sorry you're feeling sad. I would too.

Stimey said...

Congrats on the C25K! I keep meaning to do that and keep NOT doing it. :(