Friday, November 21, 2008

Veery Leetle Babies

Here are my nieces!

These two are Mackenzie Lynn... (4lbs, 4oz)

... and this is Alexa Russell (3lbs, 10 oz), who is still on the CPAP machine to help push the air into her lungs.
They both look really good, despite Alexa's giant CPAP. Their skin is pink and healthy, and they were both wiggling and grunting in their beds. I got to help feed Mackenzie by connecting her feeding tube (that's what the little red wires are coming out of their mouths) to the syringe with her 5cc of formula (!!) and holding it so it would drip into her mouth. They should be able to come home in about two weeks, or whenever they can maintain their own body temperatures / vital signs and gain weight. I've only seen babies this small on TV, so it was amazing to see how perfect they were.

And, my theory was right - looking at them put all the other emotional mess I was in right out of my head. I feel a lot, lot better.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this post brought back memories!! My twins were 4 lbs, and 4 lbs 14 oz at birth... they spent 10 days in NICU, and they were both 3-something when we took them home! I can't believe they were that little.....

Good luck to those little tiny ones!

Not Your Aunt B said...

They are perfect! Here's hoping they are home soon and have no problems in the NICU.

Swistle said...

OMG, they are SO SWEET! One teaspoon of formula? That is ADORABLE!

Deleted said...

Oh my goodness, they are so sweet. Send best wishes and Congrats!!

Kelsey said...

They do look good! Looking at my 18 pound baby now (at eight months OMG!) you'd never know he was 4 lbs. 1 oz. at birth.

creative kerfuffle said...

so happy to see them and even happier that you're feeling good about it.

Cherish said...

Oh wow, they are so sweet! I loves me some babies!

arbee said...

Adorable little babies... Congratulations Auntie!!! :)