Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Babies, and School Math Night

First of all, I would like to announce that my new nieces were born at 8:30 this morning, approximately two months early. Their names are McKenzie (4lbs, 4oz.) and Alexa (3lbs, 7oz.), and so far seem to be healthy. The doctor expects them to be in the hospital for about three weeks. I'll post a picture on Friday when I go to see my SIL Kathy, as long as I'm also allowed to see the babies. I don't know how that works, whether I'll be allowed in because I'm family, or if I'll be able to see them through a window, or if I'll just have to wait until they can come home.

I am a little excited about this. To be honest, when I heard this morning that they were coming *now*, I was devastated, both because it's so early and also because to me, this marks a new beginning for our family; the birth of people who will never have known Ryan. This, for me, puts him firmly in the past in a way that he hasn't been until now. What actually cheered me up was going to MOPS like I usually do every other week, to work in the nursery with the babies there. There's nothing like being with infants to make you appreciate the warmth and love they represent. I know that it will be OK. I just have to wait myself out. I know, too, that these children will probably have a healing power that will soothe our entire family. Please send good vibes our way, so that the girls will continue to be healthy and come home soon.

****************

In school news, the kids' school held a Dinner and Math night, where the PTA provided chilli and hotdogs for everyone, and the children then took us to their classes to give us a lesson on whatever math they are working on. Josie showed us how to do a decimal puzzle, where you have to add and subtract to make a cube of numbers work out, and Patrick made a picture using shapes and glue. It was a sweet evening, with lots of smiling families and teachers. But...

I'll bet you can't guess whose teacher didn't even show up.

Oh, wait, I'll bet you can.

That's right - Josie's teacher didn't even come. Luckily, the other fourth grade teacher picked up the slack, since they co-teach social studies and science, so all the students simply went into her room instead. This made for some crowding, but it worked out OK. I am TRYING to give this woman the benefit of the doubt, like maybe she has another job that she had to get to, or maybe her car broke down... and maybe, just maybe, MONKEYS WILL FLY OUT OF MY ASS. Yesterday afternoon, when I went in to read, after about 20 min, I heard a small commotion in the classroom (I was out in the hallway with a student), which I ignored because she had been yelling at someone or other every few minutes anyway, and I pretty much tune her out at this point. However, when it didn't stop after a few minutes, I stopped the girl who was reading to me and peeked my head into the classroom - just as Ms. said, 'ALL RIGHT, CLASS, the assessment will begin in 5...4...3...' The woman was starting a science test, during what was usually reading time, without even making sure that she HAD all her students!!!!! She knew I was there, she knew that I had a child with me, and yet she STILL couldn't bring herself to speak to me or mention that, hey, she needs to take a test now. What was she going to do, just let the girl miss the test?! Because that's what would have happened if I hadn't gone back in there to see what was going on.

Also, one child, R, who is pretty seriously ADD / socially delayed, is now in the other class because a) Ms. couldn't/wouldn't stop the other kids from picking on him (signs on the back, throwing things at him, etc) and he wasn't getting any attention from her at all as far as extra help went. I'm glad for him, but I'm sad for everyone. He was a sweet, innocent, caring boy, and everyone has lost out in this situation. The brats that were teasing him have lost out on an opportunity to learn compassion and friendship, and the kinder children have lost a friend. I think that Ms. is starting to get a lot of attention, and not the good kind. I have small hopes that maybe she won't be back after Xmas break, but I don't know how likely that is, given union contracts and all. A sub certainly couldn't do any worse.

11 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

awww, babies. my best wishes for the new babies and your whole family. i know this has been quite a journey for you emotionally. even though it's trite, i do believe things happen for a reason.
and oy vey with that teacher! srsly--does the principal know about her? do you talk with other parents? the boy had a bad teacher last year (though i'm not sure she even compares to this wench of josie's) and turns out she had a mental breakdown. however, she's back this year and from what i hear, not doing much better.
wait, i guess that doesn't really offer a positive spin on anything. except the boy's no longer in 2nd grade.

AndreAnna said...

Yay for babies! God, I love babies. I just don't want anymore that I can't give back so my friends need to start having them soon!

Have you filed a formal complaint against that teacher yet? She sounds like a total tool.

Kristi said...

Congrats on the new nieces! I'm sending many good vibes that the girls will be home quickly!!

That teacher is the worst. How can she be getting away with her actions? It's really sad they way she treats those kids.

LoriD said...

Congratulations on the new additions to your family. How exciting to have twin girls! So. Much. Pink.

I understand your pain with respect to Ryan. Life is so fragile. I wish you peace as you welcome those little girls into your family. When my friend's little guy was in the NICU, I was allowed to go in with one of the parents - I just had to suit up and wash my hands before entering.

Kristin.... said...

Babies! Those are really good size twins for 2 months early. That is a very good sign! And 3 weeks in NICU sounds pretty reasonable. Keep us posted! I'll be thinking good thoughts.
I would be marching myself down to the principal to talk about J's teacher. Something isn't right there and if no one speaks up, it will continue to deteriorate. There, my two cents. :)

d e v a n said...

She sounds like a shitty teacher.

Best wishes and positive thoughts for the sweet new babies.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Congrats on the birth of your nieces! I hope they stay healthy and go home soon.
Josie's teacher is awful. How can they not do something about it? A random observation or something to see themselves that she is not doing anything for the students.

Swistle said...

OMG NIECES!!! YAY YAY YAY!

And that teacher! OMG NON-YAY.

Cherish said...

Yay for new nieces! They seem to be a big size for being so early!!

Rayden's teacher has been driving me crazy lately too but she is no where near as bad as Josie's. Something really needs to be done and since you are there so much, im thinking that maybe you should speak to the principle?

Kelsey said...

Hooray for the babies!!! I'm so glad they arrived safely.

People (like the principal) KNOW about that teacher, right? Because not all teachers are superb, but she sounds so, so awful.

Deleted said...

Congratulations on your nieces!! Good to hear they are doing okay though they are early :) but they couldn't have picked a better time to come than Christmas :D
Hope you guys all have a great one with them here!!