Thursday, May 14, 2009

Catch-Ups, and I Win!



The field trip to Annapolis went very well. There were a lot of adults, so each person only had two children under their supervision. Thankfully, Josie's friends are all very well-behaved, and the girl that came with us was particularly so, so it was an easy day in that regard. I really think, though, that 'educational' field trips like these are largely wasted on kids this age. I seriously doubt that any of them will be able to remember a thing they heard on the tour of the Naval Academy, or the State House, other than that there were people from the Academy that were very successful in sports, and John Paul Jones was buried floating in alcohol inside his casket. I know that none of them learned a thing on the boat ride, since you couldn't hear the announcer over the squealing of the *THREE* seperate school's fourth grades that were booked for that particular time on board. I was proud that our kids behaved themselves from our school, because the other schools' kids were constantly running up and down the little stairs and flying all over the place. I think trips like the zoo, and outdoor things where they have a more tactile experience would be more appropriate at this age. They just don't have the maturity to listen and learn about things like the state senate, which are pretty abstract to them at this age, in a large group field trip setting. Still, it was a nice day, and being with Josie made the whole thing worth it. She was so thrilled that I was there, and we curled up together on the ride home and dozed on the bus. It was really, really sweet.



I'm extra-glad I went, because tomorrow is her TENTH birthday! I like that I've been able to spend a lot of time with her this week, since it's really a big milestone birthday. Tomorrow her class is going on another, much shorter field trip, to the local art museum, which is also having an exhibit of local student art from all grades. After we get back, I'll hand out cake balls (yes, I jumped on the bandwagon, and actually will have made about 50 by the time I'm done, since there's a party for the kids' choir tonight and I'm bringing some there, too, as well as a few to the little family gathering we're having for her on Sunday - might as well do it all at once and get it done, right?) and juice, and then Josie's friend Hannah will come home with us for a sleepover.



The photos from Patrick's baseball team arrived in the mail today. My sweet baby, I wish I could have watched him play out the season! Look at how handsome he is, with his daddy!!!


His trip to the zoo went really well, too. Apparently, he almost gave the chaperones a coronary from trying to supress their hysteria when he announced that 'hey, this monitor lizard is giving a piggyback ride to that one!!!!!' All the adults about broke their necks racing over to gawk at the little 'sack race'.

DH is doing really well. He decided to take off the rest of the week, because driving was still uncomfortable, and he had a low-grade fever until today. It's been really convenient having him home, too, now that he's able to do some things, since I've been so busy with various field trips and cake balls and doctors and luncheons and stuff.

I found out today at the Thank You luncheon for the school volunteers that I'm one of the top five school volunteers for the year! I got a beautiful hanging petunia, and they're putting up a plaque with the five peoples' names on them, AND we're having our pictures in the paper. Had I known about that last part, I might have dressed up a little more! But, you know, I WON something, sort of, so... STILL! :)

And, just because...

9 comments:

Sherendipity said...

This is such a cuddly post. Nice job.
Yaay!! for double digit birthdays!!
The cakeballs look great!

Angel The Alien said...

I agree, overly educational field trips are not great for fourth graders... especially since speakers and tour guides aren't usually so good at working with kids and keeping their attention!
By the way, apparently your daughter and I share a birthday... and mine is a milestone too! I'm turning 30! (Blech!) Tell her Happy Birthday from me... ten is a MUCH better milestone than mine!

3janda said...

two full hands - happy birthday josie! my baby girl turned 10 on may 1 - where did that decade go?!

Leightongirl said...

Happy birthday to YOUR Josie Girl!

Anonymous said...

PUPPIES!!

Happy (late) Birthday, Josie!

Kristin.... said...

I'm so glad the trip went well; I know you were concerned.

Oh 10. My goodness. She is so grown up looking.

Thanks for the comment on my blog; I'm going to be emailing you with some questions. :)

Chantal said...

Wow that is a busy time. Congrats on the volunteer recognition. It is always fun when all our hard work is recognized!

creative kerfuffle said...

you so deserve the recognition, that's for sure!! and cake balls---yummy : ) i might have to jump on that bandwagon too. i agree about the fieldtrips---when the girl and i went to spacecamp i think about 80% of it was wasted on the kids.

Kelsey said...

I'm glad the field trip was a success!