Friday, February 27, 2009

Answers

Brandon's doctor didn't seem to think it was anything to freak out about. Jen went home with a script for some antibiotics, and was told to look for improvement in five days.

I'm not convinced. It seems awfully suspicious to me that he spent the weekend with his grandparents last weekend, his grandfather was admitted to the hospital via ER on Monday with MRSA, and all of a sudden, a couple days later, Brandon developed a skin infection that has worsened dramatically over the past few days. The MRSA was originally on his grandfather's stomach, which is face-height for Brandon, and his grandfather is a very kind, affectionate man, meaning lots of hugs - hugs where Brandon's face would have been pressed near his grandfather's stomach. Brandon catches EVERYTHING. His mom and I have talked several times about the possibility that, along with the rest of his delays, his immune system could have some kind of immaturity as well.

Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but I know that doctors are rushed, and can either misdiagnose or not take something seriously enough. My practically-medical degree from Discovery Health Channel tells me that things get missed all the time. Maybe I'm paranoid. After losing my other nephew, maybe I'm more than a little overcautious. But, it seems awfully coincidental to me that the boy just happens to have some kind of skin infection days after staying with someone who has, oh, I dunno, a life threatening skin infection. :(

Patrick is supposed to go and stay there with them next weekend, and now I'm not sure that will be a good idea. Even if it clears up some after a few days, I'm still not sure I want Patrick going down there and staying when there's even a chance of him catching anything like that, because if Brandon has it, chances are that his sister may come down with it, and is incubating it at this very moment, waiting to break out in spots just as Patrick walks through the door. The very thought of him going there makes me feel scared.

I'm probably wrong, it's probably nothing, and I probably should put it all out of my head. But I probably won't until I hear that it's entirely gone, and no one else has developed anything.

10 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

MRSA is nothing to mess with. If he doesn't improve on antibiotics in 48 hours or it gets worse, he needs to go back. It wouldn't have hurt for them to have done a culture, but a lot of MDs shy away from that, especially in pediatrics. There are good arguments on both sides. Unfortunately, MRSA is becoming more prevalent in the community. I hope the antibiotics work and that it is nothing but a simple rash.

Kelsey said...

I hope the doctor is right and things clear up just fine. But I do think it is a good idea to keep a close eye on things and I totally understand your reluctance to send Patrick there just now.

MRSA is serious, but I think we tend to hear about the scariest outcomes and not the ones that end up resolving simply. Another blogger (I can't remember who!) had a child who had MRSA sometime before the holidays and he ended up healing just fine.

I'm crossing my fingers that the antibiotics do the trick!

Anonymous said...

I hope he's drastically improved by Monday!

Happy weekend!!

Cherish said...

I dont have any idea about these things but it sounds like something that will either prove itself over the next few days or go away. You still have another week before Patrick would be going there so there is still lots of time to see what happens with your nephew.

I hope everyone is ok

d e v a n said...

I'd be worried too! HOpefully it's nothing!

Hotch Potchery said...

That is quite scary! I hope all is well. I will check back.

Sherendipity said...

I think you should listen to your instincts. Always.
I hope everyone feels better soon.

creative kerfuffle said...

i'd be scared too and probably not let him go, unless things changed drastically.
i hope everyone gets better soon!

Elizabeth Channel said...

Dr. Discovery Health: I know you didn't do the full four years, but I trust your wisdom and insight! Fewer and fewer people enjoy common sense these days...

Chantal said...

Oh my, Hugs.