Monday, November 2, 2009

Two Firsts (And Almost My Fists)

First #1 - Josie has strep. If she's anything like me, this will be the first of many, many of these lovely infections.

Also for the first time ever, I had to raise a stink at the doctor's office.

We saw someone new, which was fine, and after looking at C's throat, Dr. said she'd be shocked if the test came back negative - but they had to send it to a lab because BCBS won't pay for in-house strep tests. (Why am I paying for this crap insurance again?)

Dr. said it would be back in the afternoon. Whatever. Then the Nurse came in, and asked where I'd be TOMORROW, and looked at me like an idiot when I told her that the doctor had said the same day, because duh, it takes 24 hours. So, I asked how much it would be to just pay for it to be done there, and it was only $20, so I said to go ahead and do it. (Seriously? It's cheaper for BCBS to pay for it to get sent to a lab, tested by someone else, and sent back? I doubt it.)

Nurse came back in a few minutes later with the swab and informed me that SHE doesn't test HER daughter until she's been complaining a week, because she doesn't get a really red throat and she wants the poor kid to try and fight it off herself, anyway - her tone implied that I was being ridiculous for insisting that my kid, who has been sick since Saturday, be treated.

Then, she got out two of the big swabs, and Josie's eyes got huge. She asked if Nurse was going to put them down her throat, and the Nurse said no, and the next thing we knew she had literally stabbed Josie in the throat with them!!!!!! Poor Josie almost threw up and burst into tears - and you know's my three-inch-scar-on-her-leg girl is tough. I was SO PISSED!

Nurse walked out like nothing had happened at all right after she did it, so I didn't have time to ream her out then, but once Josie had stopped sobbing, I went out into the hallway where she was scornfully telling the billing staff that 'the lady wanted to pay for the test, so you'll have to bill her for it', again, like I was an idiot. Once she had turned around (surprised to see me, I think), I told her that in the future maybe she could be more gentle, because she had made my daughter cry. She said, 'oh, sorry, but I have to do it fast' and walked right on past me. She never apologized to Josie, nothing!

When the doctor came back to tell us it was positive (duh), I explained what had happened, and asked if there was a way to have it noted on the chart that we didn't want that particular nurse ever again. Thankfully, *she* at least seemed upset and apologized several times, and said that she didn't know anything about making a note on a chart, but to talk to the office staff about it. She also told me that the Nurse was usually very good, etc, and I said that perhaps she was having an off day, but I still don't trust her near my children again.

I ended up not really bringing it up to the front office staff, who obviously already knew what had happened and are never exactly sweet, anyway, but this time were positively frosty. Whatever. When I see the kids' regular doctor again I'll mention it to *her*, and I'm sure she'll put it in the chart for me.

I know they have to be fast, but seriously, there was no need for that crap. Josie was obviously already in pain, and Nurse knew she had no idea what was coming. It's not like she's three, and would have cried regardless - for a 10yo to cry, it takes a lot more than a casual poke. >:< If I didn't like her regular doctor so much, I would never go there again.

7 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Ugh, poor Josie. Sorry she's sick.

d e v a n said...

That sucks. Mean nurse!

Kelsey said...

I hope she is on the mend soon and I'm sorry you had such a crummy nurse experience. Hopefully she will hear about it and make an attitude adjustment!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Write a letter to the doctor who is the head of the practice and cc the office manager. A formal complaint is better than a verbal one. It is a legit complaint- she is 10 and developmentally should know what procedure is about to happen. She still may have cried as testing for strep almost always causes patients to gag and since she had been sick since Sat. her throat must be very painful, BUT she should have been treated like a 10 year old not a 2 year old. And the staff should not be making inappropriate comments in areas where the patients can hear-that is unprofessional.

Hope the antibiotics kick in soon and that she feels better!

Stimey said...

Bedside manner much? Geez, that's appalling.

Sherendipity said...

When you go to our family doctor, it's like you are there for them to do you a favour, a big favour, and you OWE them. They act as if their jobs are charitable and you should kiss their feet for their time.
They make me sick.
I hope Josie's feeling better soon.

creative kerfuffle said...

that nurse waits a WEEK before she gets her kid tested? sheesh. sounds like she picked the wrong profession. i hope josie feels better soon, strep is NOT fun.